I am a long time fan of 3D and a geek, this camera was an excellent fit for me. It produces very clear, perfect 3D images with good depth. The 3.5 inch screen on the back is very High resolution (1.15 million pixels) and Displays 3D without the need for Glasses. The screen is suitable for Viewing 3D and can display a nice 3D "pop out the screen" effect if you compose the shot correctly. Everyone that has seen the camera's screen is amazed at the quality and 3D effect. There is nothing on the market to compare with this Fuji W3 at the moment, AIPTEK has a low end $200 3D camera and Panasonic has a $1400 3D HD video cam.
This is a good addition to anyone who has a 3D HDTV or 3D projector, considering there is very little to watch in 3D at the moment. The Footage looks very good on the big screen. I am watching it on a 100" projection Screen with Nvidia 3D vision Glasses and the effect is amazing. The Best 3D I have ever seen on the consumer market.
The price tag is a little high, it still makes great sense for anyone that has invested in a 3D TV and shutter glasses. 3D and 2D may also be displayed on a TV using the built in HDMI port on the Camera (adapter required)
Fuji also offers an expensive 3D printing service that will print 3D photos for about $7 per 5x7 print.
Videos are recorded in resolution up to 720P in 3D or 2D. They look sharp and clear. They may be converted to work with Youtube 3D very easily using the FinePix Studio software that comes with the camera. Youtube 3D let's people watch your videos in various 3D formats, with or without glasses.
I am overall very pleased with the W3
1. Battery life is ~1 hour - Buy a couple spare batteries - they are as low as $4.00 on Amazon
2. 3D Shooting distance should be no less than 4 feet in auto mode, anything that comes in closer than 4 feet should be small and centered, it may even pop out of the screen!
3. Buy a medium - large case, the camera is a little large for a point and shoot.
4. Format the memory card once you install it, I ran into issues with videos cutting off until formatted.
5. 3D is not for everyone! Avoid the W3 If you cannot tolerate 3D..
6. The screen must be in the center of your field of vision for the 3D effect to work.
7. Video recordings cut off at 11 Minutes in HQ mode and begin a new recording. May be stitched together with software. Video Frame rate is very respectable for a flash recorder but not perfect, way better than the AIPTEK.
I have some movies on youtube 3D - converted with Stereo Movie Maker, search for JJROBOTEK FUJI
Use the 3D button on the player to pick your glasses format.
I'm a fan of all that is 3D, so I Have 55 "3D TV, games, movies, etc.. but I never imagined that I could take photos and videos in 3D, and most amazing is that everything looks 3D in the camera itself "without glasses", I don't know how Fujifilm make this happen but is AMAZING lol.
Is amazing how much fun it is to take pictures and videos of everything you want and enjoy this amazing technology.
when I pay $500 for this camera, I was a little scared by that purchase high-priced, but when I start using the camera and started taking pictures, I just said WOW so many times, I can now say that is one of my best buys I've done. if you're looking for something like this, don't even think about it, GET IT, I'm not a seller I'm a very happy costumer.
And if this helps you in someway, I search on ebay, and prices are almost similar to the previous model (W1, around $500 used) so if you get bored you can sell it without losing too much (I do not think you want to sell it)
just only 3 recommendations:
1- buy a MINI HDMI cable for your TV 3D, because is not incluided and you'll need it to really enjoy everything in your 3D TV, I have to wait to get mine because I did not know about this.
2- get an extra battery, you'll need it, trust me
3- you'll need a carrying bag, you don't want this everywhere with no protection.
Cons: little things but good to know, battery life is not bad but can be better (remember is not a regular camera, use more energy) and is a finger magnet (is black)